You Need to Have Google Analytics Set-Up for Your Website
Your business has a website, and that is great. But how do you know that it is actually doing anything? How well is it performing? Can you put a number on it? Can your web designer? Is it performing 5/10? 300 visitors /month? Are your visitors from India? Are your potential clients women under 30?
Actually, there is A LOT of information at your disposal. You need to have a Google Analytics account set up. As a business owner, you need to know how your website is performing. Otherwise, it’s like not knowing how much footfall your High Street shop gets over the Christmas period.
A Small List of Information that Google Analytics has about Your Business
- How many people are visiting your website? If no one is seeing your website, then is it any use to your business, at all?
- What channels have they come from? For example, is it the emails that you send out monthly to your existing clients? Or is it the daily Facebook posts that your social media team publish?
- From where are they visiting? If you are a small business and all your clients are from south London, then having people looking from India, is of no use to you. Or perhaps, it could open new doors, now that you know you have a strong following on the other side of the planet?
- Once they are on your website, what are they doing? Are they calling the office telephone number? Are they filling out the forms? Are they pressing the ‘Buy’ button? Or do they leave straight away?
- How much time do they spend?
- Which are your most popular pages? For example, is it the sports section that generates most interest?
I’ll stop here, because the list will be very, very long. I think you get the point.
Simple & Easy Reports for You to Understand
Looking at this image, you couldn’t be blamed for yawning with overwhelming boredom. There are a lot of graphs, pie charts and numbers. However, this article is not an in-depth guide on how to read the Data. It is just pointing out that you should have Google Analytics setup.
Once you have one – you can hire a web developer to create a simplified report. One with just the stats that you are interested in. For example, you may not need to know whether your clients use an Apple Mac or a PC. You may just want to know how many visitors you get, and where they come from. This simplified report can then be automatically emailed to you daily, weekly and so on.
This information can inform you about other marketing opportunities. And once it is setup, you can always take your time and learn at your own pace.
With this information, website designers, Social media Managers and your other marketers can be held accountable.
There is no harm in having it set up. So why not?